__________________________ | ______________________________|__________________________ | ______________________| | | | | __________________________ | | | | |______________________________|__________________________ | _Living______________| | | | | __________________________ | | | | | ______________________________|__________________________ | | | | |______________________| | | | | __________________________ | | | | |______________________________|__________________________ | | |--Living | | _Leander Alexander Parks _ | | (1819 - 1907) m 1841 | _Robert Newton Parks _________|_Hannah Barnett Sawyer ___ | | (1844 - 1929) m 1871 (1816 - 1848) | _Ivan Maben Parks ____| | | (1885 - 1952) m 1925 | | | | _John Maben Henderson ____+ | | | | (1821 - 1870) m 1841 | | |_Florence Parthena Henderson _|_Terssey A Parks _________ | | (1845 - 1918) m 1871 (1823 - 1851) |_Living______________| | | __________________________ | | | ______________________________|__________________________ | | |_Grace Dorothy Allen _| (1901 - ....) m 1925 | | __________________________ | | |______________________________|__________________________
According to tradition, Maurice, son of George who was a younger son of King Andrew of Hungary, accompanied Edgar Atheling, heir to the English throne, from Hungary to England. They were shipwrecked on the shore of the Forth. In 1068/9, one of Atheling's sisters, Margaret ('the Saint') married Malcolm III 'Canmore', King of Scots, from whom Maurice received the estates of Drymen. From him descended Malcolm Beg of Drummond
______________________ | ___________________________|______________________ | _William D Crain ________| | (1819 - 1863) m 1840 | | | ______________________ | | | | |___________________________|______________________ | _Wesley Templeton Crain _| | (1841 - 1912) | | | ______________________ | | | | | _William Bloomer McMillen _|______________________ | | | (1801 - 1847) m 1821 | |_Martha Amanda McMillen _| | (1822 - 1917) m 1840 | | | _Benjamin Sawyer _____ | | | (1776 - 1875) m 1800 | |_Hannah Sawyer ____________|_Elizabeth Henderson _ | (1803 - 1895) m 1821 (1783 - 1845) | |--Clra Lemuel Crain | | ______________________ | | | ___________________________|______________________ | | | _________________________| | | | | | | ______________________ | | | | | | |___________________________|______________________ | | |_Jane E. Porter _________| (1841 - 1908) | | ______________________ | | | ___________________________|______________________ | | |_________________________| | | ______________________ | | |___________________________|______________________
_____________________ | _James Gibbons ______|_____________________ | _Joseph Gibbons _____| | m 1734 | | | _____________________ | | | | |_Ann Peirce _________|_____________________ | _James Gibbons ______| | | | | _Humphrey Marshall __+ | | | (1640 - 1711) | | _Abraham Marshall ___|_____________________ | | | (1669 - 1767) m 1703 | |_Hannah Marshall ____| | (1715 - ....) m 1734| | | _James Hunt _________ | | | (1654 - ....) | |_Mary Hunt __________|_Elizabeth Chambers _ | (1682 - 1769) m 1703 (1660 - ....) | |--Rachel Gibbons | | _____________________ | | | _____________________|_____________________ | | | _____________________| | | | | | | _____________________ | | | | | | |_____________________|_____________________ | | |_Deborah Hoopes _____| | | _____________________ | | | _____________________|_____________________ | | |_____________________| | | _____________________ | | |_____________________|_____________________
_Merfyn "Frych" (Freckled) Gwriad _ | (0764 - 0843) m 0798 _Rhodri Mawr "The Great" Ap Merfyn __|_Esyllt Verch Cynan _______________ | (0788 - 0878) m 0853 (0770 - 0810) _Anarawd Ap Rhodri _____| | (0857 - ....) | | | ___________________________________ | | | | |_Angharad Ferch of Ceredigon Meurig _|___________________________________ | (0825 - ....) m 0853 _Idwal "Foel" Ap Anarawd _| | (0883 - 0940) | | | ___________________________________ | | | | | _____________________________________|___________________________________ | | | | |_Avandreg verch Merfyn _| | | | | ___________________________________ | | | | |_____________________________________|___________________________________ | | |--Cynan Ap Idwal | (0916 - 0979) | ___________________________________ | | | _____________________________________|___________________________________ | | | _Cadwr Ap Cadwr ________| | | (0857 - ....) | | | | ___________________________________ | | | | | | |_____________________________________|___________________________________ | | |_Mereddon Verch Cadwr ____| (0887 - ....) | | ___________________________________ | | | _____________________________________|___________________________________ | | |________________________| | | ___________________________________ | | |_____________________________________|___________________________________
__ | __|__ | __| | | | | __ | | | | |__|__ | _John Paulet ________| | (1426 - 1493) | | | __ | | | | | __|__ | | | | |__| | | | | __ | | | | |__|__ | | |--Margaret Paulet | (1462 - 1534) | __ | | | __|__ | | | __| | | | | | | __ | | | | | | |__|__ | | |_Eleanor Roos _______| (1432 - 1509) | | __ | | | __|__ | | |__| | | __ | | |__|__
Gedcom File provided by
_____________________ | _John Strong ______________|_____________________ | (1515 - ....) _George Strong ______| | (1563 - 1634) m 1578| | | _____________________ | | | | |___________________________|_____________________ | _John Strong ________| | (1580 - 1613) m 1609| | | _____________________ | | | | | ___________________________|_____________________ | | | | |_Elizabeth Unknown __| | (1563 - ....) m 1578| | | _____________________ | | | | |___________________________|_____________________ | | |--JOHN Strong | (.... - 1699) | _John Deane _________+ | | (1490 - ....) m 1535 | _Gualterus (Walter) Deane _|_Joan Selwoode ______ | | (.... - 1585) m 1565 (1490 - ....) | _WILLIAM Deane ______| | | (.... - 1634) m 1598| | | | _____________________ | | | | | | |_Johannah (Joan) Walseley _|_____________________ | | (1547 - 1597) m 1565 |_ELEANOR Deane ______| (1590 - 1654) m 1609| | _____________________ | | | ___________________________|_____________________ | | |_MARGARET Wickham ___| (1579 - 1669) m 1598| | _____________________ | | |___________________________|_____________________
Immigration: 30 May 1630 Ship "Mary & John", Nantasket, Ma, As Youth With His Younger Sister
Ruling Elder in First Church
helped found & settle Dorchester,Hingham,Taunton, MA & Windsor, CT, Northampton, MA. Possibly born about 1605- acc.to lang behn info. Married his first cousin.
Having strong Puritan sympathies, he sailed from Plymouth for the new world, March 20, 1630, in company with 140 persons, on the ship Mary and John (Capt. Squeb) and arrived at Nantasket, Mass. (Hull), about twelve miles Southeast from Boston, after a passage of more than seventy days, on Sunday, May 30, 1630. The original destination of the vessel was Charles river, but an unfortunate misunderstanding which arose between the captain and the passengers resulted in their being put ashore by him at Nantasket. After searching for a few days for a good place in which to settle and make homes for themselves, they decided upon the spot, which they called Dorcester, in memory of the endeared home in England which many of them had left and especially of its revered pastor, Rev. John White, 'the great patron of New England emigration' who had especially encouraged them to come hither. (above from Dwight's History)
From Jedediah History Update: Elder John Strong- 2nd Arrival in America (1635) on the ship "Hopewell", John Driver, Master for Mass. Bay of New England. May 8, 1635-Weymouth. "Jon Stronge for himself, family, goods, and food."(Book #58B, entitled "Index of Ships and Passengers to the American Colonies")
Strong family tradition, based on the account written by Gov. Caleb Strong in 1777, maintains that Elder John Strong was a passenger on the ship "Mary and John" in 1630. James Savage in Geneal. Dictionary of the 1st Settlers of New Eng." 1860, discounts Elder John Strong having come on the "Mary and John". "Although Savage was correct in concluding John Strong did not come on the "Mary and John" in 1630 with his wife and children, it has not been proven that he did not come in 1630 as a youth. A number of young men of the "Mary and John" returned to England to marry." (Search for the Passengers of the Mary and John, Vol. 2).
Elder John lived in Hingham, 1635, Taunton 1638, Winsor, CT 1646, and Northampton 1659. John Strong, Walter and John Deane were admitted freemen of the Plymouth Colony, December 4, 1638. Margerie Deane Strong and infant died about 1635 at Hingham or Taunton, MA.
from John Langbehn's database: "John 3 Strong "Elder" (John 2, George1). Born, circa 1605, in England. Died, 14 Apr 1699, in Northampton, MA. Resided in Dorchester, MA. Resided in Hingham, MA. Resided: 4 Dec 1638, in Taunton, MA. Resided in Windsor, CT."
That the Strongs of England, Ireland and Scotland are of a different origin respectively, would seem to be manifest from the variety of their family crests. The crest of the Strongs of Ireland is a lion rampart, azure, supporting a pillar argent (or silver); of those of Scotland, a cluster of grapes stalked and leaved; while of those of England there is a threefold variety of crest. One of them is, out of a mural coronet, gold, and an eagle, wings displayed, gold; another is an eagle with two heads,wings expanded: the third form of crest is an eagle displayed, gold. An eagle with wings expanded characterizes them all alike. Which of the three forms of crest belongs to the Strongs of this country, the author has no means of determining. Persons consulting books of heraldic symbols seem to have selected, on the principle of choosing the best, the first of the three English crests described as that of the American branch of the family . No one of whom the author has heard has in his possession any silver tankard, or other family relic, on which the real ensigns armorial of the family are engraved.
Birth given as 1605 with parent's marriage in 1609. Strong family notes in Ohio Gen Lib, emigrated in 1630, deputy t o General Court in Plymouth in 1641, 1643, and 1644. The surname was originally also Straunge, Storange, and Stronge. Another source: Descendants of Palatiah and Iantha Strong, compiled by Herbert L. and Julia W. Strong, manuscript undated,purchased by Firelands Historical Society, 1991. Family characteristics are physical vigor and longevity. Source: Colonial and Revolutionary Lineage, vol. 3, DAR Library, Washington, DC. "Elder" John Strong came to New England about 1630, perhaps from the vicinity of "Southcard, in the parish of Chard", Somersetshire, where his first wife' s father, William Deane, died. The statement is found that John was a son of Richard Strong, of Taunton, England, but no definite proof is found. While it is stated that previous to coming to Taunton, in 1637, he divided his time between Dorchester and Hingham, Mass, his name is not found in the printed town records of Dorchester. John Strong had granted to him, in Hingham, Mass, Sept 18, 1635, five acres of land on North St, near Ship St. He was a freeman, 1636-37. He removed from there to Taunton, Mass, where he was one of "the 46 ancient purchasers of Taunton," in 1638; others were John Deane and Walter Deane. John Strong was the first constable of Taunton, which officer represented the Plymouth government in that new settlement in 1638. He was one of the seven freemen of Cohannet "sworn in" that same year. He was again appointed constable in 1639. He was deputy in 1641, 1642 and 1643, and was one of the foremost, most influential citizens. His house-lot was on Deane S t, next west of John Deane's lot. Mr. Strong appointed Walter Deane attorney to dispose of his real estate in Taunton, after he left. At some time before Feb, 1647, Elder Strong removed to Windsor, Conn, where several of his younger children were born. There he was appointed, with four others, "to superintend and bring forward the settlement of that place." In 1659 he removed to Northampton, Mass, of which he was one of the first and most active founders. He lived in Northampton for 40 years, and was a leading man in town and church affairs. His business as a tanner was prosperous. He owned, at different times, some two hundred acres of land in and around Northampton. He died in Northampton, Apr 14,1699, leaving about 160 descendants.
John Strong married (first) probably in England, Eleanor Deane, who died probably about 1635, and who, there is strong evidence to believe, was a daughter of William Deane, of Southcard, in the parish of Chard, Somersetshire, and a sisterof John and Walter Deane, of Taunton, Mass. "Elder" John Strong married (second), about 1636, Abigail Ford. "Plymouth Colony, its history & people 1620-1691, Eugene Aubrey Stratton, Ancestry Publishing, Salt Lake City, 1986. Taunton was originally called Cohanett. The first 7 free men were William Poole, John Gilbert, Sr., Henry Andrews, John Strong, John Deane, Walter Deane, and Edward Case. They were made freemen 4 Dec 1638. On 5 Mar 1638, Capt Poole was authorized to exercise the men at Cohanett in arms. On 1 Jun 1641, the General Court ordered that the first 7 freemen of Taunton, who had suffered great personal expense in traveling to attend the courts and in laying out lands to the town's inhabitants, should have some additional lands assigned them, provided the additions not exceed 40 acres apiece. He was one of 54 men on the list of those able to bear arms in 1643. (from p. 67) Will of William Deane of Southchard, Somerset, dated 22 Jul 1634, mentions daughter Margery Strong and grandson John Strong.
Eleanor, the wife of Walter Deane, was a daughter of John Strong of Chard, Somerset, and sister of John Strong of Northampton. (p. 279). John Strong sailed to New England from Dorset on 8 May 1635, with his family, aboard the Hopewell. (p.268) (NGSQ 71:173 ) The master of the Hopewell was John Driver, from Wymouth to Mass Bay. Source: E190/876/1, Public Records Office, Chancery Lane, London WC2A 1LR.
Had At Least 114 Grandchildren At Time Of Death
From The Mary and John by Kuhns: "After the death of John Strong's first wife, he married, probably before 1635, Abigail Ford, born Oct. 8, 1619, died July 6, 1688. In 1635, John Strong was at Hingham, Mass. In 1638, he was an inhabitant of Taunton, and he was Representative of Taunton at General Court in 1641-43-44. He removed to Northampton in 1659, where he became the first ruling elder of the Northampton Church. Jerijah Strong, the son of Elder John Strong, states that his father died April 13,1699, in the 92nd year of his age." (page 75)
Two generations of the Strong ancestry of John Strong, 1635 immigrant to Massachusetts, have been documented in STRONG FAMILY HISTORIES, Volume V, pages 629-639. His father was John Stronge; his grandfather was George Stronge. Both resided in the Parish of Chard, SomersetShire,England. John Strong, 2nd, was born there probably between 1605 and 1610, according to most estimations.
CARPENTER AND ALLIED FAMILIES: GENEALOGICAL AND BIOGRAPHIC AL. The book was "Prepared and Printed for Miss Annie I. Carpenter by The American Historical Society, Inc., New York, 1936."
The following is quoted from pages 125, 127, 129, 131. (Even page numbers were not used.)
Miss Carpenter obviously commissioned this most prestigious group to conduct a genealogy of her family.
""ELDER" JOHN STRONG (called "Elder" to describe his church office) came to New England about 1630, perhaps from the vicinity of "Southcard, in the parish of Chard," Somersetshire, England, where his first wife's father, William Deane, died. The statement is found that John was a son of Richard Strong, of Taunton, England, but no definite proof is found.While it is stated that previous to coming to Taunton " [Massachusetts]"in 1637, he divided his time between Dorchester and Hingham, Massachusetts, his name is not found in the printed town records of Dorchester.
"John Strong had granted to him in Hingham, Massachusetts, September 18,1635, five acres of land on North Street, near Ship Street. He was a freeman, 1636-37. He removed from there to Taunton, Massachusetts, where he was one of "th e forty-six ancient purchasers of Taunton" in 1638; others were John Deane and Walter Deane. John Strong was the first constable of Taunton, which officer represented the Plymouth government in that new settlement in 1638. He was one of the seven freeman [sic] of Cohannet "sworn in" that same year. He was again appointed constable in 1639. He was deputy in 1641, 1642, and 1643, and was one of the formost, most influential citizens. His house-lot was on Deane Street, next west of John Deane's lot. Mr. Strong appointed Walter Deane attorney to dispose of his real estate in Taunton, after he left. At some time before February, 1647, Elder Strong removed to Windsor, Connecticut, where several of his younger children were born. There he was appointed, with four others, "to superintend and bring forward the settlement of that place." In 1659 he removed to Northampton, Massachusetts, of which he was one of the first and most active founders. He lived in Northampton for forty years, and was a leading man in town and church affairs. His business as a tanner was prosperous. He owned, at different times, some two hundred acres of land in and around North ampton. Hedied in Northampton, Massachusetts, April 14, 1 699, leaving about one hundred sixty descendants."
"John Strong married (first) probably in England, Eleanor Deane" [should be Margery Deane], "who died probably about 1635, and who, there is strong evidence to believe, was a daughter of William Deane, of Southcard, in the parish of Chard, Somersetshire, England, and a sister of John and Walter Deane, of Taunton, Massachusetts. "Elder" John Strong married (second), about 1636, Abigail Ford."
17 children were named on pages 127, 129. Josiah Strong, born about 1639 and who died young, was not named in this account. Additional data on the Jedediah Strong line begins on page 131; all of this was not photocopied.
SOURCES cited on pages 129, 131:
Samuel Hopkins Emery: HISTORY OF TAUNTON, MASSACHUSETTS, pages 29, 78.
FOURTH REPORT OF THE RECORD COMMISSIONER OF THE CITY OF BOSTON, MASSACHUSETTS, INDEX.
HISTORY OF THE TOWN OF HINGHAM, Volume III, Page 225.
Benjamin W. Dwight: THE HISTORY OF THE DESCENDANTS OF ELDER JOHN STRONG, OF NORTHAMPTON, MASSACHUSETTS, pages 16, 228, 1076, 1120, 1291, 1305,1465, 1473, 1475, 1568.
Henry R. Stiles: HISTORY OF ANCIENT WINDSOR, CONNECTICUT, Vol. II, page743.
NEW ENGLAND HISTORICAL AND GENEALOGICAL REGISTER, Vol. III, pages 214,383. Vol. LI, pages 432-435. Vol. LVII, pag e 209.
RECORDS OF THE FIRST CHURCH OF DORCHESTER IN NEW ENGLAND, 1 636-1734,published 1891, page 149.
If there is any motto belonging to the ensigns armorial of the Strongs, the author knows not what it is. It was early represented to him by some members of the family, that there was a motto handed down to us by our ancestors, for the ever new inspiration of manly virtue in our hearts; and a grand motto it was for the practical wisdom that it conveys:Tentanda est via! they said that it was; and i t is surely good enough to be written in letters of gold over the portals of any human pathway leading onwards and upwards. It has in it the sap and strength of adozen or more of our best proverbs, such as "Try again:" "Nothing venture nothing have:" "First be sure you are right, then go ahead:" "Whatever is worth doing at all is worth doing in the best manner possible:" "Practice makes perfect:" "Don't give up the ship:" "Faintheart never won fair lady:" "Perseverance conquers all things:" "Work and wait:" "Do or die: " "Real success is worth all that it costs." The author has put this motto fully to the proof in the preparation of this work: and he recommends it to all, young and old, as in valuable in the work of life, in the pursuit of whatever go o done may wish to obtain. He is sorry to be compelled to drop it as the family motto. It belongs to the Stronge Family of Lyman Abbey, a baronetcy created in the last century, whose crest is an eagle displayed with two heads, sable, beaked and legged, azure, langued, gules: motto, tentand a est via. This family may be connected in some way, as the resemblance of name and heraldic symbols would seem to suggest, with the Strong Family. If we cannot boast, as we would not if we could, of descent from the kings and nobles of other lands, we may well feel an honest pride in an ancestry whose wealth was wealth of character, and whose patent of nobility they obtained from above in following through storm and shine the footsteps of prophets and apostles and of the Son of God.
The Strong Family of England was originally located in the county of Shropshire. One of the family married an heiress of Griffith, of the county of Caernarvon, Wales, and went thither to reside in 1545. Richard Strong was of this branch of the family, and was born in the county of Caern arvon in 1561. In 1590 he removed to Taunton, Somersetshire, England, where he died in 1613, leaving a son John then eight years ofage, and a daughter Eleanor. The name is stated in one record, on what authority the writer knows not, to have been originally McStrachan and to have gone through the following changes, McStrachan, Strachan,Strachn, Strong. John Strong was born in Taunton, Eng., in 1605, whence he removed to London and afterwards to Plymouth. Having strong Puritan sympathies he sailed from Plymouth for the new world, March 20, 1630, in company with 140 persons, and among them Rev. Messrs. John Warham and John Maverick and Messrs. John Mason and Roger Clapp, in the ship Mary and John (Capt. Squeb) and arrived at Nantasket, Mass. (Hull), about twelve miles southeast from Boston, after a passage of more than seventy days in length, on Sunday, May 30, 1630.
The grandfather of Elder John Strong was, as tradition informs us, a Roman Catholic, and lived to a great age. The Strong Family has borne out remarkably, in its earlier generations in this country at any rate, the historical genuineness of its name, in its wide-spread characteristics of physical vigor and longevity, and the large size of very many of its numerous households.
Eleanor Strong came with her brother John to this country, when he was but twenty-five years of age, and she was probably several years younger, and married Walter Deane, a tanner, of Taunton, Mass.,previously of Taunton, Eng., and became the mother of four sons and one daughter. He was born about 1617, and was a prominent man in the affairs of his new home. Her descendants have been numerous and highly respectable. For various accounts of some of them se e N. E. Gen. Register, published at Boston in several volumes, in various places.
In 1635, after having assisted in founding and developing the town of Dorchester, John Strong removed to Hingham, Mass., and on March 9, 1636, took the freeman's oath at Boston. His stay at Hingham was short, as on Dec. 4, 1638, he is found to have been an inhabitant and proprietor of Taunton, Mass., and to have been made in that year a freeman of Plymouth Colony. He remained at Taunton, as late at any rate as 1645, as he was a deputy thence to the General court in Plymouth, in 1641, '3, and '4. From Taunton he removed to Windsor, Ct., where he was appointed with four others, Capt. John Mason, Roger Ludlow, Israel Stoughton, and Henry Wolcott, all very leading men in the infant colony, "t o superintend and bring forward the settlement of that place," which had been settled a few years before (1636) by a portion of the same colony that with him had founded Dorchester. Windsor was in fact called at first, and for several years (1636-50), Dorchester.
In 1659 he removed from Windsor to Northampton, Mass., of which he was one of the first and most active founders, as he had been previously of Dorchester, Hingham, Taunton, and Windsor. In Northampton he lived for forty years, and was a leading man in the affairs of the town and of the church. He was a tanner and very prosperous in his business. His tannery was located on what is now the southwest corner of Market and Main streets near the railroad depot. He owned at different times, as appears by records in the county clerk's office, some two hundred acres of land in and around Northampton.
How he obtained his office and title as Elder John Strong will appear by the following quotation from the church records at Northampton: "After solemn and extraordinary seeking to God for his direction and blessing, the church chose John Strong ruling Elder, and William Holton, deacon. They were ordained 13: 3 mo: '63" (or, the year beginning then in March, June 13, 1663, O. S., or N.S. June 24, 1663), "the elder by the imposition of the hands of the pastor " (Rev. Eleazer Mather) "and Mr.Russell of Hadley - the deacon, afterwards by the imposition of the hands of the past or and elder. Mr. Russell, Mr. Goodwin, and brother Goodman were present from Hadley; Dea. Chapin and Mr. Holyoke from Springfield, who gave the right hand of fellowship to these delegates. "How near to the minister himself, so greatly revered, the ruling elder stood in the thoughts of our Pilgrim fathers, is manifest from the functions of his office, as described in the following church record under date of Sept. 11, 1672: "Solomon Stoddard was ordained pastor of the church in Northampton by Mr. John Strong, ruling elder, and Mr. John Whiting, pastor of the second church in Hartford."
His first wife, whose name and family the author has not been able to ascertain, he married in England. She died on the passage or soon after landing; and in about two months afterwards her infant offspring, a second child, died also. He married in December, 1630, for a second wife, Abigail Ford of Dorchester, Mass., with whom he lived in wedlock for fifty-eight years. She died, the mother of 16 children, July 6,1688, aged about 80; he died April 14, 1699 aged 94. He had had, up to the time of his decease, 160 descendants, viz: eighteen children, fifteen of whom had families; one hundred and fourteen grandchildren (6,John of Windsor; 16, Thomas of Northampton; 14, Jedediah; 7, Return; 10,Elder Ebenezer; 6, Abigail, Mrs. Chauncey; 12, Mrs. Joseph Parsons; 13, Mrs. Zerubbabel Filer; 8, Samuel; 11, Mary, Mrs. John Clark; 7, Hannah, Mrs. William Clark; 4, Hester, Mrs. Thomas Bissell); and thirty-three great grandchildren, at least.
He made over his lands in his life-time to his children, and took bills of those whom he had helped, beyond their share - as of Ebenezer, for land and rent D71 8s., of Samuel, for do. D49 12s. and of Jerijah, fordo. D60. He owed at his death, D61 11s., chiefly to his son Ebenezer - to which add for funeral expenses 40s., probate of will and inventory 7s.6d., and recording of same, 5s., and he had a free estate of D140. He gave to seven daughters D40 each, with what they had previously received. Abigail had had D38 13s.; Elizabeth, D36 7s.; Sarah, D28 1s.; Hannah, D2 8 12s.; Hester, D23 5s.; and Thankful, D16 7s. He gave to Experience D5 and to Catharine Chauncey (dau. of Abigail) D10 and to Rachel Strong (widow of Thomas) one acre in Northampton long improved by her husband. His sons, Samuel and Jerijah, were the executors of his will.
>Birth note: Gary Boyd Roberts & William Addams Reitwiesner, American Ancestors and Cousins of The Princess of Wales, Baltimore, Genealogical Publishing Co.,Inc.,1984
 Came Over From England
David Buchroeder (george-Rocks@telus.net or Buchroeder@telus.net or firstname.lastname@example.org)
__ | __|__ | __| | | | | __ | | | | |__|__ | _Cornelius Van Cleef _| | (1601 - 1686) | | | __ | | | | | __|__ | | | | |__| | | | | __ | | | | |__|__ | | |--Jan Cornelissen Van Cleef | (1628 - ....) | __ | | | __|__ | | | __| | | | | | | __ | | | | | | |__|__ | | |______________________| | | __ | | | __|__ | | |__| | | __ | | |__|__
Jan Van Cleef, the progenitor of the Van Cleef family in America, was born about 1627 or 1628, according to an official statement he made on February 14, 1664, when he gave his age as thirty-six years. It has been said that Jan was from or born in Amsterdam, and, although there are numerous "van Kleef" baptismal records there going back before 1600, Jan's baptism was not found in them. He was on one document, a bill of sale for some farmland referred to as Jan Cornelisen Van Cleef, a patronymic, so his father's name is presumed to have been Cornelis. Some feel his surname suggests that his ancestors or he was from the Rhenish Duchy of Cleve (Kleve or Cleves) adjacent to The Netherlands. But there is no foundation for this belief.
According to his oath of allegiance in1687, Jan emigrated in 1653. It has been said that he first appeared as a farmer in Gravesend, Long Island, in 1656 and possibly was living in New Utrecht asearly as 1659. But in the published Court Minutes of New Amsterdam on February22, 1655 "Jan van Cleeff"was a plaintiff in a suit at the City Hall of New Amsterdam. Although previously a property owner, on December 23, 1662 he bought ofAlbert Terhune 24 morgens of land in New Utrecht, land which he had sold to Balthazar de Vos by 1669.
As representative of New Utrecht, he appeared October 9, 1663 at New Amsterdam to warn of a gathering of 300 English at Jamaica, and was in turn given a letter from the government to take back to New Utrecht.
On February 14, 1664, Jan, then aged 36 as mentioned above, was among other inhabitants of New Utrecht who testified in New Amsterdam against the English Captain Scott who was menacing the Dutch settlements.
Stiles in his Historyof Brooklyn states that Jan Van Cleef represented Bushwick in the General Assembly April 10, 1664, but this was probably an erroneous reading of the records, since nowhere else does he appear in connection with Bushwick.
O'Callahan in his New Netherlands Register shows him in the Assembly on that date but with no geographical designation.
In August 1665 Jan acknowledged owing Willem Jansen 350 glds. in the Gravesend Record, and in 1668 he sued Pieter Jansen, asper Liber D of the Flatbush Record, while in 1670 he sold some of his land in New Utrecht to Nicholas de Meyer. Although living in New Utrecht, it is apparent that Jan maintained his original connection with Gravesend.
Jan and Adriaen Willemen (Bennet) represented the inhabitants of New Utrecht on February 2, 1672 in a dispute over the common lands with Jacques Cortelyou.
In 1677 Jan was listed as a member of the Dutch Church of New Utrecht. On December 27 the same year he bought of Arie Willemse (Bennet) a pasture lot in New Utrecht, for which in exchange Bennet conveyed to him Lot Nos. 6 & 7 in Yellow Hook (Bay Ridge) where Jan already owned Lot Nos. 13 & 14.
In the next year Jan was Constable of New Utrecht, and in 1686 he was named in Govenor Dongan's patent for the town.
Jan's last appearance of record was in the 1698 census of New Utrecht wherein his family consisted of one male, one female, and four children, oras in the original transcript, Jan, Enggel, Hannes, Benieniman, Cattryn, and Sytien (PCSB - Peter Cortelyou's Surveying Book; Enggel was thus the wife, and the last four unmarried children still at home.
It was stated that Jan Van Cleef married prior to March 10, 1681 Engeltje Louwerens; this was a clerical error for 1661 as on March 10 that year payment of her inheritance to Engeltje Laurens, then wife of Jan Van Cleef, was authorized by the court.
Engeltje, who was the daughter of Louwerens pieterse "de Norman", and his wife Annetje pieters (married August 18, 1641; he from Tonsburg, Norway, and she from Brutschein, Germany) ; had been baptised in the New Amsterdam in the New Amsterdam DutchChurch July 15, 1646.
The Van Cleef Family
Cleta Terrell, email@example.com
Cleta Terrell, firstname.lastname@example.org
Cleta Terrell, email@example.com
Cleta Terrell, firstname.lastname@example.org